Get ready to let everything out during the month of November. For 30 days writers around the world will be scribbling or typing way to reach the 50k word goal of NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month). Sign up now for your account and get your writing desk ready for some major word dumping.
The goal is to write a manuscript in 30 days – A first draft of a manuscript which means you have the idea plunked down on paper but not in a way an editor would want to look at or ever receive in their slush pile. If you are diligent and disciplined, you only need to write 1700 words a day to finish the challenge by the end of the month. If you are a super Type A personality, you can finish it in a weekend.
I finished NANOWRIMO once about a decade ago. I have a few ideas I want to write down so I will be taking one of them and writing it for NANWRIMO. I will be sharing daily tidbits, prompts or whatever is tickling my writing bone to keep myself motivated. If they motivate you, that is great too. You can share your number count with us on Facebook Page as a comment to my daily post about this writing challenge or you can keep the numbers to yourself. There is no “prize” except knowing that you finished 50k words in 30 days.
Last year, 325,142 writers participated in NANOWRIMO with 58,917 reaching their goal of completing a 50k draft of a novel in the raw.
The nonprofit We Need Diverse Books, will be providing online webinars to help writers develop their skills and offer guidance to writers focusing on diversity.
Writers in 615 regions spanning over six continents participated in NANOWRIMO last year with more than 800 volunteers making sure everything runs smoothly. More than 12,000 of those writers were in Germany. Why don’t you join them and try writing a novel this year? Here is a link to my page. If you decide to write during the month of November, let me know and we can be writing buddies on the NANOWRIMO website.
Don’t worry if you like the idea of writing a novel but are not sure what to write about. Here are a few themes you might want to tackle.
- Alienation – The effects of, the loneliness of, to cure it.
- Betrayal – the pain of, in love and friendship.
- Courage – courage to deal with conflict, lack of, developing, conquering with.
- Deception – how to deceive, results of.
- Escape – from life, routine, prison, family pressures.
- Death – how to escape, what happens after, consequences of.
- Fear – driven by, dealing with, conquering.
- Good versus evil – survival of one despite the other, triumph of one over the other.
- Isolation – physical and emotional.
- Jealousy – trouble caused by, denial of, driven by.
- Love – love fades, is blind, can overcome all obstacles, can
- Prejudice – racism, bigotry, snobbery, dealing with.
- Survival – man versus nature
None of those themes wet your appetite? Check out these sites to find the perfect topic for your 30 days of writing mania.
So many themes and only 30 days. If you decide to tackle a new genre or a subject you don’t know about, write your heart out during the month of November and then go back and do your research afterwards. Don’t spend the month of November researching a topic or you may be a writer on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
If you have lots of themes that you want to write about, pick one. It is only 30 days, you can tackle the second theme in December and the third in January.
I’m looking forward to a November filled with words and a december filled with new novels to read and book covers to design!